Monday, June 12, 2006

MotoQ -- rocks


So yeah after deciding I hated the Audiovox xv6700 I moved to the Motorola Q CDMA Windows Mobile based smart phone. So far I like it. It has far less features and abilities than the xv6700, but many of them I did not use enough for me to miss them now. Eitherway, the MotoQ makes up for it with its easy of use, easy access to buttons and extremely ease of navigation! Yep, I can now be another addition to the "dangerous driver" category by using my phone while driving, woot!

The resolution is also higher and sharper which makes it very attractive. The slim look also is a cause for joy, where as the bulky fat 6700 made it look horrible.

The keys are well placed, along with the scrolling wheel on the side, very convenient. It can also be used for turning up or down the volume, and works great. It is very easy to get to know the key's functions and ALT options--these are all pluses!

Sound quality is great, even the quality of your ringer is clear. This of course was nothing new in the old phone, which too had good sound quality. It does come packed with a nice bundle of ringtones, and you can tell they tried to appeal to the trendy crowd with hip-hop/r&b type beats and tunes. They also included a couple rock clips, which sounded like a mixture of Static-X and maybe some Rob Zombie? Whatever.

Along with that, I do like some of the packed "themes" for your main menu, they have some nice ones.

The internet browser also works slightly better than the one from my old phone, I like it because it almost displays the page in near full size--but with the scroll wheel, its simple to navigate.

I don't like the battery cover. Its very very thin and very very cheap plastic, if you are not careful, it will break. Also, I dropped it once, not far up, but it fell on carpet and the battery flew out--shows how cheap the cover is.

Also, the casing itself could have been made of better plastic in my opinion--but whatever, its still a nice looking phone.

Of course it has a slot for MiniSD--though one small thing to complain about, the small plastic cover for the opening could have been designed easier to open, and maybe hard plastic rather than soft plastic which makes it much more difficult to get it open.

The speakphone feature in regards to volume works excellent, you can hear the person loud and clear and you can adjust the volume to your liking. Though one thing I did notice--was that I am told more than not, "excuse me sir? I can't hear you very well." It seems they are either deaf, or the phone loses amplification when used in speakerphone--because they can not hear me well unless i speak very closely and clearly into the small hole.

I do like the fact that you can actually turn the damn thing OFF! With the xv6700--you could not do so unless you took out the battery. You COULD tap the "power button" and it would turn off the screen along with the functions of the keys, but the phone was still on, (and no this is not just turning off the backlight, to do that you HOLD the power key).

Finally, one of the coolest features I like about this phone is that when the phone detects appointments or meetings in your calenders marked as "busy," you can set the phone to "Automatic Mode" and it will automatically silence itself during that time period marked in your schedule. Once the time is over, it turns itself back to "normal" mode. You can also edit the modes to your liking, for example--instead of it turning to Silent, you can set it to vibrate instead--whatever you wish.

The voice recognizer works ok. I dont use it much, but when I did, it was able to tell which contact I wanted--or at least a few contacts close to what I said :P.

Overall, I preferr this phone much more over the previous one, easy to use, stable and it looks sexy.

Oh wait--one problem that still seems to not have been fixed. I also saw it on the xv6700, so I think its more of a software specific problem rather than the phone itself. If you plan to use the "Wireless Sync" it seems to cause keys to lock up, malfunction or act sporadically--even dialing numbers at times! Once I uninstalled it, everything worked normal. Yes, the Wireless Sync was awesome, it works great, but after the first day of use and a few syncs, you begin to see problems, it seems more like a buggy Wireless Sync software--who knows. But other than that, the phone rocks.

PS. The speed of switching between menus or applications could be faster IMO. Its not a big deal really, but you do notice it lag every once in a while.

Also, the "memory leak" problem still exists, programs get left in memory causing you to repeatedly kill applications in the task manager (which you have to dig for).

No comments:

Post a Comment