Friday, July 21, 2006

Dell machines -- an opinion

Since everyone does it, I want to add an entry regarding Dell's machines. *feels cool now.*

Anyway, most people ask me, "Dont Dells suck?" And I tell them, "if you want them to." The problem is, not the machine, but the user a lot of the times. I say that because many of the times the user will go out a buy a machine and not know what it has or does and expect more out of it than it is capable of doing. I see it all the time. Or I get asked, "I want a new computer can you help me?" So I say, "well ok, what do you want to do with your new pc?" And they say: "I wanna listen to music, watch movies, play games, burn DVDs and CDs, download fast, draw, make this and that...blah blah blah..." I'm like "ok..." Then they say, "I only wanna spend about $300-$500 bucks though...not over that." And I'm like, "wtf?!" They want a Cadillac for the price of a GeoMetro. Sheesh! Doesn't everyone?

So when I actually bring them back to their senses and tell them, "well dude, for about that much you can probably get a pretty basic machine. You can do some office work, play some low-level intensive games, and maybe burn some CDs." They get all pissed. So then I usually point them to Dell since they have prices they are looking for, for some what decent machines.

Then when they get it, they proclaim after a month, "Dells suck!" That phrase gets tossed around too loosely in my opinion that I think there needs to be some clarification. To put it plainly, Dells suck as much as HPs suck as much as Compaqs suck. However, Compaq has some killer servers, yes their Proliant models are great. HPs make killer printers, and some very nice desktops too. Dells make some pretty good desktops also. They all have their good and bad. If you are only going to pay some chump change and expect a miracle, Miracle Max woulda told you, "I've never worked for so little." tsk tsk tsk.

Or I also hear techs say, "i'd rather build my machine thats the best way!" Yeah, no crap! Who doesn't know that? However, many of the times, it can come out much more expensive for the same configuration than going to a Brand company. Also, many dont consider is that, if you have a large network that needs PCs, what are you going to do? Build 500 machines? Yeah right--your boss will laugh at you. Shoot even building 30 machines is rather ridiculous--just do a proper pc rollout and get yourself a brand name PC.

I run a network full of Dells, and have 2 Dell servers and 1 "whitebox" server. For the most part my Dell machines run very well, and the built one runs ok only. Its not that it was built wrong, its just old.

Anyway, my only complaint with Dell machines are, usually the PSUs. They are usually not very powerful, cheap and if it is a Dimension, tend to go out eventually. I've replaced 2 so far. The RAM could also be of better quality but it ok if you payed a low price. The motherboards can at times seem pretty limited, unless they are servers or workstations, which usually allow more options.

However, as far as scalability and reliability goes, I think Dells do their job, provided you dont get a crappy machine to begin with. I have always admired the scalability though. Back when I was scouting for a NAS server, I checked out HP, SNAP, DELL and none of the other two came close to scalability as the Dell NAS did. Reliability, maybe, but not in terms whether it was scalable or not. Plus, the price was nice too. So I chose Dell.

However, for those that get a Dimension and plan to turn it into a gaming machine have another thing coming. Stay away from the dimensions--at least the entry-level ones ;-).

So I say here again, Dells are fine, they are good for business use and home use depending how you configure it. But in stark contrast, their service sucks. Dont expect them to rollout the red carpet when you arrive.

No comments:

Post a Comment