Monday, October 24, 2005

Virus Scanner Solution


Yeah, a few weeks ago I realized we were running on a very old virus scanning program, Inoculate 6.0 by CA. It's been a great program since my boss bought it but I right away noticed some limitations on this program. It had no email scanning abilities! It is about 5 years old right now, the kinda cool thing about this program is that it never expires, you do not need to renew the license at all, just keep updating the virus definitions. Though of course this does not mean its all good. In order to keep up with virus attacks and newer methods, you need programs with updated virus scanning abilities and engines. Obviously, something 5 years old can prove to me primitive in the computer world.

So I begin to scout out for possible new software. I checked out mainly Symantec and Trend Micro. After checking them both out, features, pricing and abilities, I decided to go with TrendMicro, they usually have hourly updates and also have a few more features. Such as, server level spyware scanning and other filters. Not sure if I will use them, since I already have a solution in place for that, but still probably going to try them out, it is always better to consolidate anyway.

It came out to about $1,900 dollars instead of the $2,400 dollars that Symantec was going to cost me to cover my network. I went ahead and bought 50 licenses, I probably only need about 40...but we've been growing steadily...might as well get the 10 extra I may need. Anyway I went ahead with the "SMB" solution, Small Medium Business solution. This package gives you everything you need to deploy a respectable anti-virus solution.

No comments:

Post a Comment